binaries list

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 3 19:38:11 PDT 2012

On Jul 3, 2012, at 21:20, Gregory Seidman wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 09:02:44PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> On Jul 3, 2012, at 20:39, Gregory Seidman wrote:
>>> The only other thing I'd like is "apt-cache policy <package>"
>>> functionality,
>>
>> Could you explain what that is, for those of us unfamiliar with apt?
>
> Sorry, yes, I should have explained originally. On my Debian server:
>
> % apt-cache policy netatalk
> netatalk:
>  Installed: 2.2.2-1
>  Candidate: 2.2.2-1
>  Version table:
> *** 2.2.2-1 0
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>     2.1.2-2 0
>        990 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/main i386 Packages
>
> It tells me that netatalk version 2.1.2-2 is available from the repository,
> but that I have 2.2.2-1 installed (because I jumped through hoops to
> install a newer version, as it turns out).
>
> What I'm looking for is a convenient way to see what versions are available
> to be installed and what versions, if any, are installed.

"port installed" tells your which ports are installed. You can restrict that, e.g. "port installed zlib" to see which version(s) of the zlib port are installed.

"port outdated" tells you which of those ports are outdated. You can restrict that too, e.g. "port outdated zlib" to see if zlib is outdated.

There is always only one version of a port available to be installed—the current version. To install older versions, you have to jump through hoops explained here:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort