binaries list

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 19:52:32 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> > What I'm looking for is a convenient way to see what versions are
> available
> > to be installed and what versions, if any, are installed.
>
> "port installed" tells your which ports are installed. You can restrict
> that, e.g. "port installed zlib" to see which version(s) of the zlib port
> are installed.
>
> "port outdated" tells you which of those ports are outdated. You can
> restrict that too, e.g. "port outdated zlib" to see if zlib is outdated.
>
> There is always only one version of a port available to be installed—the
> current version. To install older versions, you have to jump through hoops
> explained here:

And what is missing from all of this is what I understood your original
question to be:  what *packages* might be available (which depends on
variants etc.).  "port list" shows what will build from source; only a
subset of this is available as binary packages, and even then only for some
architectures and default variants (and only with the default MacPorts
prefix of /opt/local).