gtk2 fails to build

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 6 07:33:31 PDT 2012

On Jul 6, 2012, at 08:58, Thomas wrote:

> Some time ago, while (unsuccessfully) trying to build another program from sources by hand, I had fiddled with libpng12 and libpng15, and it turns out that those were still there in some form in addition to libpng14.

Ok, so this could indeed be the problem for you. You should get the current libpng 1.4.x port installed and activated and then rebuild anything using a different libpng.

> Now I removed them - and broke some more packages in the process.
> It turns out that openjpeg, which I have installed, needs libpng15, because /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_openjpeg/openjpeg/main.log includes the following error:
> :info:build   CCLD   j2k_to_image
> :info:build ld: library not found for -lpng15
> :info:build collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> :info:build make[3]: *** [j2k_to_image] Error 1
>
> However, there is no port for libpng15 (which makes me wonder how my old, now broken openjpeg was installed).

My openjpeg is successfully installed against the current libpng 1.4.x port. Try cleaning openjpeg and rebuilding it.

> The reason for rebuilding gtk2 was apparently that some files or links were broken, I have seen that in my previous attempts when the automatic self-check ran. However, as far as I can see, rev-upgrade does the same stuff as my previous attempts, and fails for the same reason (I did this before fiddling with libpng and openjpeg as described above):
> --->  Updating database of binaries: 100.0%
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
> --->  Found 75 broken file(s), matching files to ports
> --->  Found 2 broken port(s), determining rebuild order
> --->  Rebuilding in order
>      gtk2 @2.24.8 +x11
>      llvm-3.0 @3.0
> --->  Computing dependencies for gtk2
> --->  Building gtk2
> Error: org.macports.build for port gtk2 returned: command execution failed
> Please see the log file for port gtk2 for details:

This was not a clean attempt. (You can tell because it started at the Building phase, skipping the Configuring and earlier phases.) "sudo port clean gtk2" and try again.