What has MacPorts Installed for py27-iPython?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 22:59:54 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Stephen Webb <sdavis.webb at gmail.com> wrote:

> I used MacPorts to install py27-ipython and found only a directory in
> /opt/local/var/macports/software/py27-ipython that contains only:
>
> py27-ipython-0.12.1_0+scientific.darwin_10.noarch.tbz2
>
> What is this, why is it not added to my path (if it should be), and where
> is the iPython install I thought I had created?

"port contents py27-ipython" will show you what was actually installed;
like most python ports, it's probably put stuff in the framework's bin
directory, somewhere under /opt/local/Library/Frameworks, and you will need
to add that to $PATH yourself.  (I do not know why that's how it's done.)

The thing you found is the package archive.  When you build a package (or
download it), you get that; then "port activate" is used to unpack it into
the installed ports tree.  You can "port deactivate" it and then activate a
different version, if you need to (unless you use -u, old versions are
retained when you upgrade ports, so you can easily recover if a new version
is buggy).