What has MacPorts Installed for py27-iPython?

Jamie Paul Griffin jimpaulgriffin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 06:57:51 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 01:59:54AM -0400, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Stephen Webb <sdavis.webb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I used MacPorts to install py27-ipython and found only a directory in /opt/
>     local/var/macports/software/py27-ipython that contains only:
>
>     py27-ipython-0.12.1_0+scientific.darwin_10.noarch.tbz2
>
>     What is this, why is it not added to my path (if it should be), and where
>     is the iPython install I thought I had created?
>

> "port contents py27-ipython" will show you what was actually installed; like
> most python ports, it's probably put stuff in the framework's bin directory,
> somewhere under /opt/local/Library/Frameworks, and you will need to add that to
> $PATH yourself.  (I do not know why that's how it's done.)
>
> The thing you found is the package archive.  When you build a package (or
> download it), you get that; then "port activate" is used to unpack it into the
> installed ports tree.  You can "port deactivate" it and then activate a
> different version, if you need to (unless you use -u, old versions are retained
> when you upgrade ports, so you can easily recover if a new version is buggy).

I experienced a similar issue when I installed pyzor (not from Macports
but build manually using the Macports installed python2.7) and the
binary pyzord was installed in:

    /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/pyzord

You can just use a symlink to the binary into a directory in your path;
/opt/local/bin for example. What you have there isn't a binary though so
i'd imagine there are some more steps you need to make as suggested by
Brandon to actually be able to use the port.

I hope you get it working. Good luck.

    Jamie.