What has MacPorts Installed for py27-iPython?

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Sat Jul 7 13:22:59 PDT 2012

> Another solution is to add the framework bin directory to your PATH:
>
>    export PATH=\
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin:$PATH
>
> or, possibly, to use the default MacPorts python:
>
>    export PATH=\
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:$PATH

The way MacPorts would do it is create symlinks to all the binaries and suffix them with the version of Python they were installed under. For example, if there's a binary called pyzor in /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin, there could be a symlink in /opt/local/bin called pyzor-2.7.

I'm kind of curious why you don't just create a Portfile to install your software, letting MacPorts keep track of it for you and making these symlinks automatically.