What has MacPorts Installed for py27-iPython?

Jamie Paul Griffin jimpaulgriffin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 21:39:23 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 04:22:59PM -0400, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> The way MacPorts would do it is create symlinks to all the binaries and suffix them with the version of Python they were installed under. For example, if there's a binary called pyzor in /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin, there could be a symlink in /opt/local/bin called pyzor-2.7.
>
> I'm kind of curious why you don't just create a Portfile to install your software, letting MacPorts keep track of it for you and making these symlinks automatically.

Simply because I've never created a portfile before and I wasn't aware
of the benefits of doing so until you just pointed that out. pyzor needs
py-gdbm and the easiest way of installing that was by using the Macports
system and so it simply led from that really. But, i'll certainly read-up
on how to create one and do it, as you suggested. It does make a lot of
sense.

    Jamie