Error on "sudo port -v upgrade outdated"

Kok-Yong Tan ktan at realityartisans.com
Mon Jul 9 07:01:16 PDT 2012

On 7/9/12 09:19, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>> Don't fiddle with the sym links in /usr/bin by hand !! You will for sure break something.
>>
>> MacPorts doesn't need the compiler to be 'usr/bin/gcc' in order to use it. It will happily used the versioned binaries in there directly, if configured to do so.
> Try building the failed package X again:
> sudo port clean X
> sudo port install X configure.compiler=gcc-4.2

Okay, I did "sudo port -v clean wireshark" and then "sudo port -v
upgrade installed configure.compiler=gcc-4.2" and it seems to be
compiling using the gcc-4.2 compiler explicitly now.   It's chugging
away and will probably take a couple of hours.

Since it's now using the gcc-4.2 compiler, what about packages wireshark
depends on?  Don't they have to also be recompiled using the gcc-4.2
compiler?

> MacPorts chooses its default compiler based a combination of architecture and Xcode version ( src/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl's portconfigure::get_compiler_fallback). I believe GCC 4.0 should only get used if Xcode 3.2 with OS X 10.4.

Odd that MacPorts still defaults to gcc-4.0 if this is a 10.5 system,
albeit it being a PPC system.