Error when trying to start wireshark under X11

Kok-Yong Tan ktan at realityartisans.com
Sun Jul 15 21:11:27 PDT 2012

On 7/15/12 23:27, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Kok-Yong Tan
> <ktan at realityartisans.com <mailto:ktan at realityartisans.com>> wrote:
>
>     Can anyone tell me what this error means when I try to start
>     wireshark in an xterm window via the X11 system:
>
>     bash-3.2$ sudo wireshark
>
>     (wireshark:11767): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
>

> It means something messed with $DISPLAY, which you should not set on
> OS X; launchd sets it correctly and overriding it can cause problems
> like this.  You're probably setting it in .bash_profile (or .profile,
> or being really wrong and setting it in .bashrc).  Don't.
>
> --
> brandon s allbery allbery.b at gmail.com <mailto:allbery.b at gmail.com>
> wandering unix systems administrator (available)     (412) 475-9364 vm/sms

Thanks for the info.  I went into .bashrc and found an explicit setting
for the DISPLAY environment variable which I ripped out.  Then I
restarted X11 and did "sudo wireshark" whereupon X11 crashed and took
wireshark with it.  I then tried doing the same thing under a Terminal
window and the same thing happened, except I got an extra line of error
(the last line) and Terminal didn't upchuck:

Last login: Sun Jul 15 23:47:43 on console
zeus:~ kytan$ echo $DISPLAY
/tmp/launch-vuNxLR/:0
zeus:~ kytan$ sudo wireshark
Password:
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-vuNxLR/:0".

(wireshark:344): Gdk-WARNING **: shmget failed: error 12 (Cannot
allocate memory)
wireshark: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X
server /tmp/launch-vuNxLR/:0.
zeus:~ kytan$

While wireshark was attempting to come up, it displayed a grey but blank
window before X11 died and kicked wireshark's legs out from under it...
Any ideas that don't involve having to reinstall the X11 server executables?