Error when trying to start wireshark under X11

Kok-Yong Tan ktan at realityartisans.com
Sun Jul 15 21:31:59 PDT 2012

On 7/16/12 00:11, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:
> On 7/15/12 23:27, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Kok-Yong Tan
>> <ktan at realityartisans.com <mailto:ktan at realityartisans.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Can anyone tell me what this error means when I try to start
>>     wireshark in an xterm window via the X11 system:
>>
>>     bash-3.2$ sudo wireshark
>>
>>     (wireshark:11767): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0
>>

>> It means something messed with $DISPLAY, which you should not set on
>> OS X; launchd sets it correctly and overriding it can cause problems
>> like this.  You're probably setting it in .bash_profile (or .profile,
>> or being really wrong and setting it in .bashrc).  Don't.
>>
>> --
>> brandon s allbery allbery.b at gmail.com <mailto:allbery.b at gmail.com>
>> wandering unix systems administrator (available)     (412) 475-9364
>> vm/sms
>>

> Thanks for the info.  I went into .bashrc and found an explicit
> setting for the DISPLAY environment variable which I ripped out.  Then
> I restarted X11 and did "sudo wireshark" whereupon X11 crashed and
> took wireshark with it.  I then tried doing the same thing under a
> Terminal window and the same thing happened, except I got an extra
> line of error (the last line) and Terminal didn't upchuck:
>
> Last login: Sun Jul 15 23:47:43 on console
> zeus:~ kytan$ echo $DISPLAY
> /tmp/launch-vuNxLR/:0
> zeus:~ kytan$ sudo wireshark
> Password:
> Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-vuNxLR/:0".
>
> (wireshark:344): Gdk-WARNING **: shmget failed: error 12 (Cannot
> allocate memory)
> wireshark: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X
> server /tmp/launch-vuNxLR/:0.
> zeus:~ kytan$
>
> While wireshark was attempting to come up, it displayed a grey but
> blank window before X11 died and kicked wireshark's legs out from
> under it...  Any ideas that don't involve having to reinstall the X11
> server executables?

It appears that when I changed the default compiler, the "sudo port -v
install wireshark configure.compiler=gcc-4.2" command might not have
recompiled the ports that wireshark depends on and also compiled a
different variant than what I wanted, thus contributing to this
problem.  So, I've uninstalled the unwanted variants, leaving the one I
want and try the following command in the meantime and let it do its
"thing" overnight and will report back on what happens if the build
succeeds and when I try to run the results:

sudo port -v upgrade wireshark configure.compiler=gcc-4.2