Monitoring Internet Usage

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Jul 31 17:12:29 PDT 2012

At 12:10 AM +0100 8/1/12, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>Craig Treleaven wrote:
>
>>  I want to be able to monitor internet usage from my son's Mac*.  (Top 5
>>  applications by MB transferred; maybe top 20 internet addresses, etc.)
>>  I think there was a commit in the last couple of weeks to a port that
>  > did just that--but, of course, I can't find it now.
>  >
>  > Craig
>  >
>>  *We keep blowing through our GB cap and the overage charge was $50 on
>>  the last bill!!  Since there is 4 of us in the house, I've never been
>>  clear on how much data he uses.  Hover, he has been away at camp the
>>  last 4 weeks and our GB usage is down by 2/3!
>
>If you have a router, it's probably easier to cap his bandwidth.

I'd like to understand what is using all this bandwidth.  He was
running torrents for a while but I believe he stopped months ago.  He
talks to friends on Skype.  He plays a couple of online games which
occasionally have enormous updates.  Some YouTube.  Lots of Facebook
and other lower-bandwidth stuff.  It seems that he is going through
40-70 GB per month by himself and I really don't understand what he's
doing that is consuming all that data.

BTW, with my D-Link router, I think I can limit his network use to
certain times of the day (and block specific web sites) but I don't
think I can "cap" his bandwidth.

Craig