downgrading to xtools 3 or 4.1

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jun 7 13:43:26 PDT 2012

On Jun 7, 2012, at 13:54, Jonathan Gough wrote:

> I would like to downgrade my version of xtools.  I was wondering, before or after i do that, do I need to uninstall and then re-install macports?

Assuming your version of OS X is compatible with the version of Xcode you want to install (Lion for example requires Xcode 4, but Xcode 3.2 works on Snow Leopard), then you can proceed by first using the Xcode uninstaller script, which Apple installs with every version of Xcode, and then later installing the desired older version of Xcode.

You don't need to reinstall MacPorts, or even necessarily reinstall all ports, however some ports remember inside them what compiler was used to compile them, and use this to compile other related ports. This may be a problem because the compiler you used with Xcode 4.2 and later was Apple's build of clang, and older versions of Xcode have older and less-usable versions of clang. For example, the python ports (python27 etc.) remember what compiler was used, and use that compiler when compiling any python modules. So after changing the version of Xcode, you should rebuild those kinds of ports. We don't have a complete list of those ports but some of them are mentioned in the ProblemHotlist. You could also possibly use grep to find others among your installed ports.