looking for older Tcl/Tk ports

Jim Graham spooky130u at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 23:32:52 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 08:43:06PM +0200, Gustaf Neumann wrote:
> From my point of view, the best solution would be a port named
> tcl84. There are a few ports
> (i know of scotty (dependents: moodss, moomps), [....]
> that still need tcl 8.4.

> tclx,
> otcl,
> tclcl,

All failed after attempting to fetch tcl8.4.9-src.tar.gz from
http://hivelocity.dl.sourceforge.net/tcl.

> swarm,

Failed when attempting to build swarm.

> mesa,

Worked, but didn't go anywhere near Tcl/Tk 8.4 (which I just checked
found is not in /opt/local/bin---only tclsh8.5).

> sguil-client,

Failed when trying to get tclx.

I updated MacPorts Friday (which, for me, is still today, as I have
yet to go to bed), 8Jun, around 1500 hrs (CST), give or take a few
hours.

> if there is interest, i could make a first draft of a port (as time
> permits).

There is certainly interest here, as this has use/work of/on my freeware
hurricane tracking program, JStrack, completely halted...and given that
hurricane season officially started on 1 June at 0000 hours, that's a
Very Bad Thing(tm).  I did find out (from the author of Img 1.2.4) that
the new version is now called tkImg, and he suggested using it instead.
So I'll be trying at least that part tomorrow.

Btw, I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my previous post or not, but I
was successful in compiling Tcl 8.4.19 (the last release of 8.4.x), and
it works (simple process:  ./configure; make; [as root] make install).
The same cannot be said for Tk 8.4.19, sadly.  It builds fine, but when
you try to use it, it claims it was not installed properly.  And the
ActiveTcl version just really screws up the display of at least some
Tcl/Tk apps (including JStrack---it tries to make it full screen,
instead of obeying the geometry specifications in jstrackrc) completely.

And with that, it's well past time for me to go to bed....

Thanks,
   --jim

--
THE SCORE:  ME:  2  CANCER:  0
73 DE N5IAL (/4)          | Peter da Silva:  No, try "rm -rf /"

Android Apps Listing at http://www.jstrack.org/barcodes.html