Rebuilding broken ports over...and over...and over

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Fri Jun 15 11:01:11 PDT 2012

> Um, I thought I'd done that (and more) when I did "sudo port uninstall installed".

Yes, and you did "clean all":

> Some time ago, I followed the migration instructions on another machine and did "sudo port clean all".  Is that a good option?  I remember being surprised at how long it took.  I think it would be faster to delete the whole /opt/... hierarchy and reinstall MacPorts?

Yes, "clean all" is a great thing for the situation you've been running into. My guess is that's what's been biting you all over the place: lots of incomplete builds that are cropping up as you try to install various packages.

I'd do it again since you have more interrupted builds.

> And, no, I didn't really want universal.  I thought the lack of it was causing the hiccup.

Likely it's unmarked dependencies that are causing your issues. A package built against a library because it was available, but after you changed some but not others then it was a broken link which MacPorts noticed and attempted to reinstall/rebuild them.

I'd recommend deactivating it all again, and rather than saying "install this batch", have MacPorts install one at a time completely. This will help cut down on how many rebuilds you need to do, and possibly make it more clear where there are hidden dependencies.

Attempting to delete /opt won't necessarily help you, since files can be installed to /Applications/MacPorts and linked to /Library/ as well. You should have MacPorts uninstall it all.