Macports and Qt development

Daniel Ericsson deric at macports.org
Sun Mar 4 07:16:57 PST 2012

On 4 mar 2012, at 14:46, Francisco García wrote:

> So the big question for MacPort users is: Do Qt developers manage their packages with MacPorts or just run away from it when there is something that involves Qt?

This is my own opinion.

If you're a developer relying on a framework, you depend on that framework in a wholly different way than a user of an application that has been developed against that framework, exactly as you describe with your debugging woes.

If you've had success with the official distribution I'd say go with that. If it's compiled as a framework there isn't any reason it can't integrate with most things built in Macports, with just a little, or even no configuration.

It's still useful to know your experience as a developer in using Qt installed from Macports as it can inform others. It would also be useful to know what version of OS X you are on, and which version of Xcode you use, if you do.

By using the official Qt distribution you can also follow official documentation and know that it's valid for your situation.

A quick search tells me that even with an installation of the official Qt distribution, debugging isn't always painless to get working:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Troubleshooting
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.7/debug.html#id-648ce576-8473-4375-80b9-0dad5c38b6ef

hope that helps,
-- Daniel