How do I run py-spyder once installed?

Andrew Mark andrew.g.mark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 13:18:57 PST 2012

Thanks for all the responses. Running "port contents py27-spyder"
returns several hundred different items. But I think the most relevant
are the last two:
  /opt/local/bin/spyder
  /opt/local/bin/spyder-2.7

These are aliases that both both point to the same file:
/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin

This is a unix executable file. When I try to run this, a terminal
window pops up and says:
ersions/2.7/bin/spyder ; exit;
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/spyder",
line 2, in <module>
    from spyderlib import spyder
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/spyderlib/spyder.py",
line 86, in <module>
    from spyderlib.utils.environ import WinUserEnvDialog
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/spyderlib/utils/environ.py",
line 16, in <module>
    from spyderlib.baseconfig import _
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/spyderlib/baseconfig.py",
line 138, in <module>
    _ = get_translation("spyderlib")
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/spyderlib/baseconfig.py",
line 117, in get_translation
    lang = locale.getdefaultlocale()[0]
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/locale.py",
line 496, in getdefaultlocale
    return _parse_localename(localename)
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/locale.py",
line 428, in _parse_localename
    raise ValueError, 'unknown locale: %s' % localename
ValueError: unknown locale: UTF-8
logout

[Process completed]

I presume that this is not what is supposed to happen. A few questions:
1) Have I attempted to run the right thing?

2) Does this error message indicate a bad install? If so, any
suggestions as to where to begin fixing it?

3) For future reference how do I find out where the executable file
for an installed port resides? (When one installs Spyder on windows
one gets a nice clicky icon in the start menu -- I have no experience
in discovering where executables hide in unix).

4) Mark, if you could email/post that script it would help me verify
that I'm running the right thing.

Thanks again,

-AM