How do I run py-spyder once installed?

Daniel Ericsson deric at macports.org
Thu Mar 8 14:18:25 PST 2012

On 8 mar 2012, at 22:31, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> I presume that this is not what is supposed to happen. A few questions:
>> 1) Have I attempted to run the right thing?
>
> It appears you did run the correct thing.
>
>> 2) Does this error message indicate a bad install? If so, any
>> suggestions as to where to begin fixing it?
>
> Probably not a bad install anymore than a bad environment assumption, but that could be either the package's or the user's doing.
>
> You might be able to adjust this in Terminal's settings -> "advanced" preferences -> international character encoding. Try creating a new terminal based on those settings and see if it works then.

The locale needs to be prefixed with a language code and it's set in the environment. You can check what it's set to with:

$ env | grep "LANG\|LC_CTYPE"
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

Any of those two variables will work, I think LC_CTYPE takes precedence.

Your error message indicates that one of those is set to "UTF-8", for some reason.

To correct it manually for your current terminal session you can do:

$ export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
$ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

To have the settings stick you can enter it in ~/.profile.

hope that helps,
-- Daniel