Ruby problem

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 21:53:46 PST 2012

On 09/03/2012 01:21, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2012, at 16:21, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>
>> For some while now I've used rvm installed in $HOME to manage my Ruby
>> stuff but every time I install anything from Mac Ports the Ruby version
>> gets switched back to the 1.8.7. in /opt/local (can be a pain if I
>> forget to switch it back & the first time I notice is when it errors
>> because they are no rubygems installed in /opt/local).
>>
>> Short of uninstalling Ruby & Vim is there any way 'round this to stop it
>> happening?
>
> What, exactly, happens? What does it mean, "the Ruby version gets switched"?

Hi, Ryan.

Case in point:

I've got iTerm2 running with six tabs. In each tab I've issued the
command `rvm --default use 1.9.3` to set my ruby version. So in one
shell I'll have a Rails project, another node.js, another $HOME/dev
running git & so on.

In one shell I clone a repository from git (repl) & switch shells to do
a port search for a recommended dependent (rlwrap). I install rlwrp from
Mac Ports. Switch shells again (to node) & the ruby version is now 1.8.7
from /opt/local.

Running port dependents ruby returns only Vim. However node.js & npm are
installed into /opt/local as are quite a lot of ports.

At no time did I issue any command to change ruby versions (I suspect if
I told rvm to use the System Ruby it'd defer to /opt/local because Mac
Ports is amongst the first in my $PATH; certainly before /usr/bin).

FWIW, none of any of the tools I'm using are outside of either $HOME or
/opt/local.

HTH,

Cheers,

  Phil...