Ruby problem

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Mar 9 02:35:41 PST 2012

Hello,

On 03/09/2012 06:53 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> I've got iTerm2 running with six tabs. In each tab I've issued the
> command `rvm --default use 1.9.3` to set my ruby version. So in one
> shell I'll have a Rails project, another node.js, another $HOME/dev
> running git & so on.

As far as I understand it on their website [1], rvm modifies your PATH
variable to switch between different versions of a tool.

Please check to what typing ruby in your shell refers with the command
'which ruby'. I assume it returns something like
"/Users/foo/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3/bin/ruby" as explained on the
website. Also check where this symlink points to.

> In one shell I clone a repository from git (repl) & switch shells to do
> a port search for a recommended dependent (rlwrap). I install rlwrp from
> Mac Ports. Switch shells again (to node) & the ruby version is now 1.8.7
> from /opt/local.

Please check again what 'which ruby' returns now and where the symlink
points to.

Running 'port' cannot modify the PATH variable of either the current or
any other terminal. So I don't see how MacPorts could be doing anything
that would modify the behavior here.

I assume rvm does not more than modifying PATH and setting up symlinks,
I did not find more documentation on that matter.

Rainer

[1] http://beginrescueend.com/rvm/basics/