gnuplot: question about wxWidgets(-devel)& Universal variants

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 07:24:17 PDT 2012

On 3/13/12 08:00 , macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:
> Subject: Re: gnuplot: question about wxWidgets(-devel)&  Universal
> variants

>>> The simplest solution for us would be for the developers of
>>> wxWidgets to finally release a stable 64-bit compatible version
>>> of their software. Then we could update the wxWidgets portfile to
>>> that version and remove all the 32-bit forcing in all the ports
>>> that do that.
> However that probably won't happen for some time.
>
> Would it be acceptable for a non-default option of gnuplot to simply
> depend on wxWidgets-devel then? The version 2.9 also contains some
> nice features that are missing in 2.8, so it's not just about type
> of binary. (If necessary, there could be two options, one with
> wxWidgets and one with wxWidgets-devel, but I don't really think that
> two options are needed.)
>
> I tried to create an update at
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33596

wxWidgets and 64-bit has been a real PITA for some time now.  The
development series 2.9 has promise, but there are some problems.  If you
really need wxWidgets, I suggest using the X11/gtk backend.  See this
old ticket for a full explanation:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24350

The variant for the 64-bit capable X11/gtk backend is available in the
wxwidgets-python port.  This could be translated to the regular
wxwidgets port if someone is interested.  I have stopped using wxwidgets
due to these problems and am now using qt4.

Jonathan