intltool won't install because of the old XML::Parser not found issue

Jeff Singleton gvibe06 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:59:28 PDT 2012

All..

Before I go opening a bug, that probably won't get addressed -- considering
every single bug previously opened by others has been ignored, blamed on
something else, or just not fixed because the devs have no idea why its not
finding XML::Parser.

I've tried every suggestion…I've tried building 64 bit only…I've tried
building 32 bit only…and I have tried building universal.  And none of them
work.

Note…each attempt mentioned above was done on isolated, clean build systems
and it doesn't matter what foot I stand on, the time of day, or where the
moon is currently -- the fact is, something is not right in the way so many
ports still depend on intltool and is the same no matter which version of
Perl used -- 5.12.3 and 5.14.1 both fail.

I can't fix it with any amount of hacking, pasting, or patching…believe me,
I have tried everything I can think of -- including trying to use the
native perl on Lion, and installing XML::Parser and XML::Parser::Expat via
cpan. Intltool does not use any Variables to help point it where it needs
to go.

So my questions are:

- Why is intltool being depended on so much, when it hasn't been updated
since 2009?
- Is there anything else out there that can provide the same dependencies?
- Are any of the developers using anything that requires intltool?

- If so, how are you installing it, and why can't you submit your methods
as a fix, so that everyone else can also get passed this issue?

MacPorts being a free option for installing sources on Mac OS…I understand
that this sounds demanding, but really, its a plea for attention on
updating and changing old and broken dependencies once and for all so we
don't have to keep going around in circles.

I counted 12 bugs opened at some point over the past 6 years for the exact
same error with intltool not finding XML::Parser -- Not all for the same
base port being requested, but still reported with the same issue in
intltool. Yet, here we are again, still with the same problem.

I hope this makes the right point and gets discussions started that are
helpful…I can open a bug if that will help track the issue.

--
Jeff