intltool won't install because of the old XML::Parser not found issue

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 15 23:12:40 PDT 2012

On Mar 15, 2012, at 23:59, Jeff Singleton wrote:

> Before I go opening a bug, that probably won't get addressed -- considering every single bug previously opened by others has been ignored, blamed on something else, or just not fixed because the devs have no idea why its not finding XML::Parser.
>
> I've tried every suggestion…I've tried building 64 bit only…I've tried building 32 bit only…and I have tried building universal.  And none of them work.
>
> Note…each attempt mentioned above was done on isolated, clean build systems and it doesn't matter what foot I stand on, the time of day, or where the moon is currently -- the fact is, something is not right in the way so many ports still depend on intltool and is the same no matter which version of Perl used -- 5.12.3 and 5.14.1 both fail.
>
> I can't fix it with any amount of hacking, pasting, or patching…believe me, I have tried everything I can think of -- including trying to use the native perl on Lion, and installing XML::Parser and XML::Parser::Expat via cpan. Intltool does not use any Variables to help point it where it needs to go.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> - Why is intltool being depended on so much, when it hasn't been updated since 2009?

It actually has been updated. In 2009 it moved to launchpad, and we didn't notice. (Not surprising; nobody has volunteered to be intltool's maintainer.) I'll update the port immediately to version 0.50.2.

> - Is there anything else out there that can provide the same dependencies?
> - Are any of the developers using anything that requires intltool?
> - If so, how are you installing it, and why can't you submit your methods as a fix, so that everyone else can also get passed this issue?

I installed intltool successfully in August 2011. I presently cannot install it in a second prefix. So I have no magic fix for you; at one point in time it installed for me, and I haven't uninstalled it since then.

What happens when you run this:

perl5.12 -e "require XML::Parser"

In my second prefix, it generates an error about Expat.bundle being the wrong architecture, so there's at least one thing we need to fix in p5.12-xml-parser.