problem upgrading pflogsumm

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Mon Mar 19 11:56:45 PDT 2012

On Mar 19, 2012, at 10:53 AM, Terry Barnum wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Mar 14, 2012, at 12:05, Terry Barnum wrote:
>>
>>> I tried to upgrade pflogsumm but it failed:
>>>
>>> Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/bin/corelist is being used by the active perl5.8 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate p5.12-module-corelist' to force the activation.
>>> Log for p5.12-module-corelist is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_perl_p5-module-corelist/p5.12-module-corelist/main.log
>>> Error: Problem while installing p5.12-module-corelist
>>>
>>> Running a 'port dependents perl5.8' shows:
>>> perl5 depends on perl5.8
>>> rsnapshot depends on perl5.8
>>>
>>> Sorry if this is a basic macports question, but won't deactivating perl5.8 break perl5 and rsnapshot?
>>>
>>> OSX 10.6.4, i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)
>>

>> Looks like you haven't updated your ports in over a year; this is a very old problem by now. You need to upgrade perl5.8 first. Then you can upgrade your other ports.
>>
>> sudo port upgrade perl5.8
>> sudo port upgrade outdated
>>
>> In the future you may wish to upgrade your ports more frequently. We try to leave upgrade paths in place, but typically remove them after a year, so you should upgrade more frequently than once a year.
>>
>> (This particular problem, however, never had a nice upgrade path: you always had to know to upgrade perl5.8 first manually.)
>
> Thanks Ryan and Lawrence. Point taken about more frequent upgrades. The machine in question is a production server so I tend to be hesitant about updates because I don't want to break it.

A valid concern. I break my production server several times a year doing upgrades. The OpenSSL, Ghostscript, ImageMagick, jpeg and libpng ports are the most painful breaks for me.

You can mask ports from upgrades by installing them from a repository that port does not sync.

This is what I have done to allow me to more easily keep most ports upgraded while more carefully upgrading critical ports with a history of pain:

$ grep -v -E "^(#|$)" /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
file:///Users/brad/misc/macports/users/pixilla/dports [nosync]
file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports [default]

$ find /Users/brad/misc/macports/users/pixilla/dports -type d -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2
/Users/brad/misc/macports/users/pixilla/dports/graphics/GraphicsMagick
/Users/brad/misc/macports/users/pixilla/dports/graphics/ImageMagick
/Users/brad/misc/macports/users/pixilla/dports/graphics/jpeg
/Users/brad/misc/macports/users/pixilla/dports/graphics/libpng
/Users/brad/misc/macports/users/pixilla/dports/graphics/tiff
/Users/brad/misc/macports/users/pixilla/dports/print/ghostscript

I can now frequently perform "port selfupdate; port upgrade outdated" with less risk of breaking things.
Less frequently and at a time when I know I will have hours/days to handle any upgrade issues I perform a manual copy from /opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports to /Users/brad/misc/macports/users/pixilla/dports.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)