problem upgrading pflogsumm

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Mar 20 12:20:50 PDT 2012

On Mar 19, 2012, at 2:56 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2012, at 10:53 AM, Terry Barnum wrote:
>> Thanks Ryan and Lawrence. Point taken about more frequent upgrades. The machine in question is a production server so I tend to be hesitant about updates because I don't want to break it.
>
> A valid concern. I break my production server several times a year doing upgrades. The OpenSSL, Ghostscript, ImageMagick, jpeg and libpng ports are the most painful breaks for me.

as a general rule, if it's important not to break something on a production system - you need to have a testing system where you can stage potential changes and validate them before you push them to your production system...

Whether or not it's worth the additional expense and effort to do so is probably dependent on how important it is for you to not break something on your production system (ie you're willing to take the risk of a production outage while you diagnose and fix whatever issue you are experiencing).

--
Daniel J. Luke