Installer hangs... it's been a bad day.

Glen Henshaw glen at toadhill.net
Mon Mar 19 18:17:28 PDT 2012

Somehow, I zorched my MacPorts install today. It started out complaining
about not having the right Xcode install (even though I did). After
mucking about with reinstalling Xcode, the command line utilities,
editing macports.conf, etc, it got to the point where just running the
port command, even "port help", froze the machine, requiring a hard
reboot. I tried to reinstall (without first uninstalling, trying to
salvage my installed ports and just write over the port infrastructure),
but the installer hung at

./postflight: Updating port image format…

So eventually I manually uninstalled MacPorts altogether, following the
documented instructions. And now, when I try to run the installer -
after a fresh reboot - it still hangs in exactly the same spot. Just
sits there. For as long as I'm willing to stare at it, apparently. On my
last attempt, I let it run for nearly thirty minutes. Nothing.

Now what?

Glen

--
  Glen Henshaw