Installer hangs... it's been a bad day.

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Mon Mar 19 18:41:09 PDT 2012

> the installer hung at
>
> ./postflight: Updating port image format…

Sounds like you had an old (very old) MacPorts installation that needed to be updated, so it was dutifully doing that. If you had many packages installed, converting from the old flat file format may indeed take hours.

> So eventually I manually uninstalled MacPorts altogether, following the documented instructions. And now, when I try to run the installer -
> after a fresh reboot - it still hangs in exactly the same spot. Just sits there. For as long as I'm willing to stare at it, apparently. On my last attempt, I let it run for nearly thirty minutes. Nothing.

If `du -sh /opt/local` says you've got more than a couple megabytes installed, things aren't actually uninstalled. Since it seems the installation was so old you may have forgotten about it, you might as well just blow the whole thing away and deal with any non-/opt/local collisions as they arise (by issuing `port -f activate X` at the time).

I'd see if there are any other suggestions before blowing the whole thing away, but my guess is you have a lot of very old packages installed still.