What provides xcodebuild?

Glen Henshaw glen at toadhill.net
Thu Mar 22 10:11:25 PDT 2012

Currently, invoking the port command completely locks up my machine. I
fooled around with various fixes for a while, and eventually deleted my
macports installation and attempted to reinstall, only to discover that
the installer won't run to completion. In tracking down problem #2, I
found that the xcodebuild command doesn't run on my machine.
Specifically, it hangs. Even something innocuous like xcodebuild
-version never exits. The installer invokes xcodebuild, which explains
why it hangs on my machine.

So I deleted Xcode and reinstalled, hoping to fix whatever problem I was
having with xcodebuild. I also manually deleted /usr/bin/xcodebuild
itself, assuming (stupidly, it appears) that either the xcode app or the
commandline utilities associated with it are what provides xcodebuild. I
figured that manually deleting it would give me verification that it had
in fact been reinstalled.

I appear to be digging myself a hole here. Having reinstalled both
Xcode.app and the command line utils, xcodebuild has not reappeared. So:
what package provides xcodebuild?

Thx,
Glen

--