spe for Python 2.7?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 10:21:07 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:51, Dave Curtis <dave at dave-curtis.com> wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2012, at 9:37 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> >  I believe the normal way to deal with this is variants (or, for more
> complex situations, subports) that specify appropriately matched
> dependencies.
>
> Please reconcile with this from Ryan Schmidt:
>
> >> There only seems to be one port of spe.
> >
> > And there should only be one. We provide multiple (sub)ports of python
> modules, but programs (like spe) that use python should only exist a single
> time in the tree.
>
> So Ryan says there should only be one in the tree.  What you are saying
> seems to be in conflict with that.  Pardon the confusion, I'm not familiar
> with writing portfiles.

The key is "should"; while what Ryan said is the ideal situation, sometimes
new versions are so significantly different that only multiple ports will
work.  Subports are one way to do it; another (probably more preferred) is
the way the mysql ports are handled (you simply can't pull off a single
mysql port that handles all of the mysql releases in any sane fashion, even
though that would be the "ideal" way to do it).  So you should avoid the
multiple ports answer if possible, but sometimes it's *not* really possible.