spe for Python 2.7?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 22 12:55:20 PDT 2012

On Mar 22, 2012, at 12:21, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:51, Dave Curtis <dave at dave-curtis.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 22, 2012, at 9:37 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> >  I believe the normal way to deal with this is variants (or, for more complex situations, subports) that specify appropriately matched dependencies.
>>
>> Please reconcile with this from Ryan Schmidt:

>> > And there should only be one. We provide multiple (sub)ports of python modules, but programs (like spe) that use python should only exist a single time in the tree.
>>
>> So Ryan says there should only be one in the tree.  What you are saying seems to be in conflict with that.  Pardon the confusion, I'm not familiar with writing portfiles.
>>
> The key is "should"; while what Ryan said is the ideal situation, sometimes new versions are so significantly different that only multiple ports will work.  Subports are one way to do it; another (probably more preferred) is the way the mysql ports are handled (you simply can't pull off a single mysql port that handles all of the mysql releases in any sane fashion, even though that would be the "ideal" way to do it).  So you should avoid the multiple ports answer if possible, but sometimes it's *not* really possible.

Brandon, I think you're on a different track than I was.

I was trying to make the distinction between python modules (like wxpython, for which we use the unified python portgroup, and give the port a name beginning with "py-", and for which the portgroup creates multiple subports (py26-wxpython, py27-wxpython, etc.), which can be installed simultaneously) with programs that use python and/or python modules (like spe, for which we use a specific version of python, or offer variants to let the user choose which version of python to use).