Does MacPort come with an alternative GCC for compiling Ruby 1.8.7 with RVM

Behrang Saeedzadeh behrangsa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 22:27:20 PDT 2012

Hi Lawrence,

Yes, I want to compile Ruby myself. Or to be more precise, I want RVM to
compile Rubies for me. RVM allows you to specify which compiler to use as
well.

Also looks like the non-Apple versions of GCC are not compilable on Lion
anymore:

sudo port install gcc42
Password:
--->  Fetching archive for gcc42
--->  Attempting to fetch gcc42-4.2.4_2.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from
http://packages.macports.org/gcc42
--->  Fetching gcc42
Error: gcc42 does not build on Snow Leopard or later.
Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned: unsupported platform
Log for gcc42 is at:
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc42/gcc42/main.log
To report a bug, see <http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

Cheers,
Behrang Saeedzadeh
http://www.behrang.org