FOSS cross-platform data drive encryption

bunk3m pneukom at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 11:26:20 PDT 2012

I'm not a lawyer but I'd say it is FOSS.  You can use and reuse the
software subject to keeping sourcecode available and saying where you
got it.

I've been using Truecrypt for many years on Mac + Windows + Linux
without any issues.  I never trusted the proprietary whole drive
hardware encryption solutions.  I want my data to be accessable where
ever it is stored and not subject to some company choosing not to update
the software for one of the platforms that I use.

OK, Truecrypt isn't something that you can run/install through Macports
but the solution works very well.

If you use Truecrypt, you'll probably have to use FAT32 file system on
your external drives.  I know it isn't the best solution and it isn't
FOSS but it is the only one that works with Mac/Win/Linux out of the
box.  Otherwise you will be looking for extensions for whichever FOSS
filesystem you chose to use.

There may well be something FOSS available on Linux as I think they have
now implemented full disk encryption.  I don't know what it is called
but it may be something you could port over.  I'd be a bit worried
unless you can really do all the testing because if it isn't ported
right your data will be gone forever.

Let us know what you finally decide on doing.

B.