FOSS cross-platform data drive encryption

Sam Kuper sam.kuper at uclmail.net
Sat Mar 24 11:52:24 PDT 2012

On 24 March 2012 18:26, bunk3m <pneukom at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not a lawyer but I'd say it is FOSS.

Neither am I, and I'd say it isn't.

Pertinently, the lawyers employed by Red Hat (among others) agree with me,
not with you. See, for instance,
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/distributions/2008-October/000276.htmland
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems#TrueCrypt and
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/distributions/2008-October/000273.html.

> You can use and reuse the
> software subject to keeping sourcecode available and saying where you
> got it.

It sounds to me like you haven't read the whole license.

> I've been using Truecrypt for many years on Mac + Windows + Linux
> without any issues.

Bully for you.

> I never trusted the proprietary whole drive
> hardware encryption solutions.  I want my data to be accessable where
> ever it is stored and not subject to some company choosing not to update
> the software for one of the platforms that I use.

This, I can understand; but it's not reason enough to choose TrueCrypt.

> OK, Truecrypt isn't something that you can run/install through Macports
> but the solution works very well.

If by "works very well" you mean "puts you at potentially serious legal
risk".

> If you use Truecrypt,

I don't plan to.

> Let us know what you finally decide on doing.

Daniel's suggestion of encfs seems to be the best option so far. Unless I
hear of a better option in the meantime, it will be my first choice as and
when I'm ready to start doing some trial runs.

Sam