Is this a bug in RVM or MacPorts?

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sat Mar 24 17:09:26 PDT 2012

On Mar 24, 2012, at 16:59 , Behrang Saeedzadeh wrote:

> I am talking about Ruby Version Manager. The reason I brought up this
> discussion was to see where's the correct place to set the path for
> MacPorts, ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile, as the latest version of RVM
> creates ~/.bash_profile and was causing ~/.profile not to get sourced for
> me anymore.

As I read the 'bash' man page, the correct place is ~/.bash_profile, since it is guaranteed to be read.  For the other two mentioned there, only one will be read, and then, only if the preceding file is not present.  The alternative, as mentioned earlier in this thread, is to use, say, ~/.profile, and source it from ~/.bash_profile.

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large