QT4-mac 32 bit Quartz Carbon

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 26 18:24:01 PDT 2012

On Mar 26, 2012, at 07:58, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> The existing MythTV build script (perl) includes the following:
>
>> # We set 32-bit mode via environment variables.
>> # The messier alternative would be to tweak all the configure arguments.
>> if ( $OPT{'m32'} )
>> {
>>    &Verbose('Forcing 32-bit mode');
>>    $ENV{'CFLAGS'}    .= ' -m32';
>>    $ENV{'CPPFLAGS'}  .= ' -m32';
>>    $ENV{'CXXFLAGS'}  .= ' -m32';
>>    $ENV{'ECXXFLAGS'} .= ' -m32';  # MythTV configure
>>    $ENV{'LDFLAGS'}   .= ' -m32';
>> }
>
> I think this is the magic that causes everything to build 32 bit.  Is there some way to do the same with MacPorts?

MacPorts has the settings build_arch and universal_archs in macports.conf. If you want 32-bit/64-bit universal builds on Snow Leopard and up, install ports with the +universal variant. If you want 32-bit only, change build_arch to i386 in macports.conf and force-rebuild the port; this is not recommended however.

If a port requires that it be built 32-bit, that port should contain the line:

supported_archs i386 ppc

This will cause MacPorts to automatically rebuild any dependencies with the universal variant.

> * Based on my rudimentary understanding, I think both QT and MythTV mean "Carbon" when they say "Quartz".

That would be a strange redefinition of terms... :)