Should I Uninstall MacPorts to Reinstall?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 27 18:09:57 PDT 2012

You should Reply All when you reply so that your responses go to the mailing list too, not just to me. I'm Cc'ing the mailing list again. See below for more.

On Mar 27, 2012, at 17:30, Susana wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>
> Thank you for your help!!  You gave me a lot of information.
>
> This is what it said when I ran the selfupdate command you gave me:
>
> sent 64 bytes  received 636 bytes  73.68 bytes/sec
> total size is 512  speedup is 0.73
> --->  MacPorts base is already the latest version
>
> The ports tree has been updated. To upgrade your installed ports, you should run
>   port upgrade outdated
>

> I think that means it's alright?

Yes, that looks fine. Still not sure what error you encountered during the initial installation, but perhaps it has resolved itself.

> If you would continue to help out, since I only want to install digiKam, do you think it is unnecessary for me to go through all this by downloading macports (since it seems like a big thing to download)?

You've already downloaded and installed MacPorts. MacPorts itself is quite small.

> Do you think I should instead look elsewhere for a photo viewing program that is also free and will allow me to view photo info (i.e. aperture, fstops, histogram)?  I have photoshop, but I don't think that will show me those things, only the histogram.

I don't know what your photo needs are, nor am I familiar with the range of photo programs available, so I can't make any recommendations for you.

Why not just type "sudo port install digikam" and see what happens? If it doesn't work and you don't feel like troubleshooting it further, you can always try something else instead.