Wine is extremely slow, how do I find out why?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 28 02:37:16 PDT 2012

On Mar 28, 2012, at 04:22, C D wrote:

> Since an upgrade a few days ago, a number of programs have an usually long startup period during which they use a lot of CPU while apparently doing nothing. Affected are, among others, wine, qiv, unison, probably gimp. It happens both on Mac OS 10.6 and 10.5. A better description of the problem for wine was given by somebody else: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9886336/wine-is-extremely-slow-how-do-i-find-out-why . I suspect this is due to a common library to all the affected programs (gtk?).

I've answered your Stack Overflow question, but for anyone else, the problem is fontconfig 2.9.0_0 wasn't creating its cache files correctly; this has been fixed in fontconfig 2.9.0_1. "sudo port selfupdate" and "sudo port upgrade outdated" to get the fix, as usual.

In the future, when you have MacPorts questions, you might get more prompt answers by asking on the macports-users mailing list to begin with. :)