MacPorts 2.1.0 has been released

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue May 15 10:55:36 PDT 2012

At 1:29 AM +1000 5/16/12, Joshua Root wrote:
>   <snip>
>The list of what's new in 2.1.0 is quite extensive (so I won't list it
>here), the details can be found in the NEWS [7] file or the somewhat
>more exhaustive ChangeLog [8].
><snip>
>[7]
><http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/branches/release_2_1/base/NEWS>
>[8]
<http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/branches/release_2_1/base/ChangeL

Thanks to the devs for all their work.

In the NEWS, I noticed a couple of points:

>== Overview of changes from MacPorts 2.0.4 to 2.1.0 ==
><snip>
>*) The pkg and mpkg targets will create flat packages on 10.6+.
>
><snip>
>*) Multiple ports can now be defined in one Portfile using the 'subport'
>    procedure.
>
>*) New option 'add_users' can be set to ensure that the listed users are
>    created at the right times during the install process.

Being a neophyte Portfile author, is there more documentation of the
above features?  ( mpkg, subports, add_users.)  I looked up the
revisions to pkg/mpkg, for example, but I don't read TCL well enough
to really understand.  Even a pointer to a message thread would help.

Thanks again,

Craig