MacPorts 2.1.0 has been released

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue May 15 11:17:18 PDT 2012

On 2012-5-16 03:55 , Craig Treleaven wrote:
> Thanks to the devs for all their work.
>
> In the NEWS, I noticed a couple of points:
>
>> == Overview of changes from MacPorts 2.0.4 to 2.1.0 ==
>> <snip>
>> *) The pkg and mpkg targets will create flat packages on 10.6+.
>>
>> <snip>
>> *) Multiple ports can now be defined in one Portfile using the 'subport'
>>    procedure.
>>
>> *) New option 'add_users' can be set to ensure that the listed users are
>>    created at the right times during the install process.
>>

> Being a neophyte Portfile author, is there more documentation of the
> above features?  ( mpkg, subports, add_users.)  I looked up the
> revisions to pkg/mpkg, for example, but I don't read TCL well enough to
> really understand.  Even a pointer to a message thread would help.

There are entries in the port(1) man page and the Guide about mpkg.
General info about Installer packages is available on the web, e.g.:

<https://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/#documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/SoftwareDistribution4/Managed_Installs/Managed_Installs.html%23//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40004615-CH6-SW9>
<http://s.sudre.free.fr/Stuff/Ivanhoe/FLAT.html>

The add_users option is documented in the portfile(7) man page.

Have a look here:

<http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2011-July/015408.html>

- Josh