macports.conf vs macports.conf.default

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed May 16 09:16:18 PDT 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM, M A <markoilcan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Under /opt/local/etc/macports I have both a macports.conf and
> macports.conf.default file. The first seems to be from 2010 and the
> latter from today. I guess the port command should be reading the
> newer, but the documentation on the web (and using 'man port' and 'man

No.  It reads macports.conf; macports.conf.default is (a) an example and
(b) documentation.  You would use it to help you keep macports.conf up to
date (manually, by referencing it during an edit).

> The primary reason I'm asking is because I want to make some changes
> and put that into ~/.macports/macports.conf. Can I put in only the
> changes, or is it necessary to copy the whole macports.conf file from
> /opt/local/etc/macports?

The documentation (`man macports,conf`) says:

     ~/.macports/macports.conf
>                        User-specific configuration override. This file, if
>                        found, will be used instead of the default file at
>                        ${prefix}/etc/macports/macports.conf.

"instead of" says to me that you should copy and modify
/opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf.