macports.conf vs macports.conf.default

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 16 11:20:06 PDT 2012

On May 16, 2012, at 10:22, M A wrote:

> Under /opt/local/etc/macports I have both a macports.conf and
> macports.conf.default file. The first seems to be from 2010 and the
> latter from today. I guess the port command should be reading the
> newer, but the documentation on the web (and using 'man port' and 'man
> macports.conf') says that macports.conf is used. Is this correct? And,
> if so should I replace macport.conf with macports.conf.default?

You should compare macports.conf and macports.conf.default line by line and, for any change that you did not deliberately make, adopt the line from macports.conf.default into your macports.conf. This process is described on the Migration wiki page and should be followed any time you upgrade MacPorts -- just as you should perform similar steps whenever you upgrade a port that provides a sample config file.