PHP53 / PHP54 - port select php

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed May 16 10:57:24 PDT 2012

>> So, "port select php" only provides a way to select the PHP cli version ?
>> It's seem not too hard to extend the script to take into account the
>> Apache module ?

I don't think there's any point to "select"ing an Apache module, is there? Surely it's not too difficult to type the full name of the module into your httpd.conf once?

To the best of my knowledge about how the "port select" mechanism works, "port select php" can only select things that the php53 and php54 ports install. If you would like to, for example, be able to select the Apache module, which are installed by the php53-apache2handler and php54-apache2handler ports, we would need a new php-apache2handler_select port and then you could "port select php-apache2handler" to select the version. But right now I don't see the point.

>> By the way, some php libraries, like APC, Pear aren't provided with
>> the both new php ports (php53 & php54). Can we expect to see them back
>> (like with php5 old port) ?

I am in the process of converting the PHP extensions. APC is on the list, but is on the list of extensions that are a little different from the others, so it will probably be done last, after I've done the easy ones.

PEAR is not an extension at all but an infrastructure for installing additional non-compiled PHP code. Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla at macports.org) is responsible for PEAR in MacPorts and you should email him about his plans for PEAR.