Please tell me how to fix a installation problem, thanks!

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Mon May 21 08:21:20 PDT 2012

> I am a beginner with MacPorts and I can not install any port so far. My current softwares are
>
> Mac OS 10.7.4
> Xcode 4.1
> XQuartz 2.6.4 (xorg-server 1.10.6).

What version of MacPorts (run `port version`)?
Why such an old Xcode?

> Here is the problem
>
> bogon:~ weiwei$ sudo port install vim
> Password:
> --->  Computing dependencies for vimError: Unable to execute port: can't read "build.cmd": Failed to locate 'make' in path: '/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin' or at its MacPorts configuration time location, did you move it?
>
> Could anyone tell me the cause of this problem and how to fix it?

Sounds like you need to install Xcode's Command Line Tools and you need to update your MacPorts installation (run `sudo port selfupdate`). Please see prerequisites to using MacPorts:
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/InstallingMacPorts