[enhancement] proposal - make all ports independent of which version of Perl is installed or the major one

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Wed May 23 20:36:44 PDT 2012

Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
> Eric Hall wrote:
>> On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 09:07:58PM +0200, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:
>>> Now, we do have 96 ports that have perl5.12 hardcoded into them.
>>> That means, that they are presently 2 (two) years behind schedule as I
>>> see it.
>>>
>>> If we don't come to a resolution as a group, I'll just implement my own
>>> solution and post my procedure here on the lists for other interested
>>> parties should they be interested.
>>>

>> 	I don't see a problem with providing a variable that can be
>> set somewhere that will make bumping the perl revs easier.  It's
>> certainly been a pain while trying to test things for perl5.14 to
>> have to go in and edit port files to avoid installing perl5.12.
>
> OK ... I'll post a way to mass-migrate all 96 ports in one go then ...

attached, find my solution to mass-migrate all the ports in one go :-)
I hope it'll be of use for the hackers in here :-D
I've tried to make the coding descriptive as well as commented my code.
If there are points in my code that are un-clear, please don't hesitate
to ask me here on the list :-)

You can use the results in two ways:

1) create a local repo that takes precedence over the macports repo
   the Portfiles generated will thus supercede the ones provided by
   macports major
2) use the patch-files to modify the macports repo.
   to make this work, you'll have to add an additional step after a
   /port sync/ in order to apply the patches:

port sync
for patchFile in $(find ${macportsRoot} \
                   -type f -name 'patch-Portfile.diff')
do
    patch -u -p0 <${patchFile}
done

OH ... and you'll have to modify the #! script path in the script ;-)
I do recommend installing bash from MacPorts and using that :-)

Happy Hacking !!! :-D
--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa