'port -qv installed' returns empty list

Pepijn Kenter kenter at stcorp.nl
Wed May 30 09:05:32 PDT 2012

Dear experts.

I have upgraded from OS-X 10.5 to 10.6 and I am now trying to follow the instructions for migrating MacPorts to a new version (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration)

I first installed the base MacPorts system again and compared the various conf files with their conf.default (no differences). Then I tried to reinstall my old ports but when I do the first step (port -qv installed > myports.txt), the resulting myports.txt file is empty.

I don't know what causes it to be empty (I had to restore my time machine backup during the OS-X upgrade, or perhaps it is the 'sudo port -v selfupdate' I executed) but my intention is to see if I can still retrieve this information from a time machine backup. However I don't know where this information is stored.

So therefore I want to know: in which file does MacPorts store which packages are installed?

Thanks in advance, Pepijn.