mysql55 no longer ships with startup script for MacPorts

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Thu May 31 07:09:37 PDT 2012

On May 30, 2012, at 9:32 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> Which is fine until you need multiple versions installed.  I don't know if it's in place yet (the ports are being reorganized, I believe) but the intent is that "port select" be used to select which one is visible on the default $PATH

$ port echo depends:mysql_select
mysql51
mysql55

Locally I have mysql_select for percona. I have been somewhat preoccupied trying to get the current mariadb to build.
http://mariadb.org/

This would bring mariadb up to mysql 5.5 along with percona and mysql55. If anyone can supply the mariadb install magic please do!
It looks like mariadb does not rebase with mysql often. My approach has been to add the mysql 5.5 changes to mariadb in the form of patches.

Soon we should have mysql51, mysql55, mariadb and percona and all have "port select mysql"  functionality.
The mysql4 and mysql5 ports will be replaced_by mysql55 and all ports that depend on mysql4 or mysql5 will have there dependencies changed to mysql55.
Ports with mysql variants will be updated to have mysql51, mysql55, mariadb and percona variants.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)