Cannot get ipython to update to newest version

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 14:01:07 PDT 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Collin Capano <cdcapano at umd.edu> wrote:

> And yet, still, if I run "ipython --version", I get 0.11. I'm pretty
> certain this isn't due to a preinstalled version getting picked up in my
> PATH. The preinstalled version is in /usr/local/bin/ipython, and if I type
> "which

Having stuff in /usr/local commonly makes messes, and is not supported.

> ipython" after uninstalling the port, this is what is returned. My
> macports installations go to /opt/local/bin. After installing and
> selecting, typing "which ipython" points to /opt/local/bin/ipython.

In this case, your problem is probably that the shell caches where it saw
an executable.  "which" is not built into your shell, apparently, and/or is
not able to use your interactive shell's cache --- so it sees the first one
in $PATH.

"hash -r" (Bourne-like shells) or "rehash" (csh-like shells) will flush and
recompute the path cache.

unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net