Cannot get ipython to update to newest version

Collin Capano cdcapano at umd.edu
Fri Nov 2 13:49:55 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to update my installation of ipython to the newest version (0.13). My current version of ipython is 0.11. After doing a selfupdate and installing the updated port (py27-ipython), however, my version of ipython is still 0.11. I've also tried uninstalling my port of ipython and reinstalling, and still no luck. Macport seems to think I have ipython 0.13 active, but when I run ipython, it disagrees. For example, running the following yields:

$ port installed py27-ipython
  py27-ipython @0.13_1+scientific (active)
$ ipython --version
0.11

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the port by hand. Doing so gives the following (as root):

$ port uninstall py27-ipython
--->  Deactivating py27-ipython @0.13_1+scientific
--->  Cleaning py27-ipython
--->  Uninstalling py27-ipython @0.13_1+scientific
--->  Cleaning py27-ipython
$ port install py27-ipython
--->  Computing dependencies for py27-ipython
--->  Fetching archive for py27-ipython
--->  Attempting to fetch py27-ipython-0.13_1+scientific.darwin_11.noarch.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/py27-ipython
--->  Attempting to fetch py27-ipython-0.13_1+scientific.darwin_11.noarch.tbz2.rmd160 from http://packages.macports.org/py27-ipython
--->  Installing py27-ipython @0.13_1+scientific
--->  Activating py27-ipython @0.13_1+scientific

To make the Python 2.7 version of IPython the one that is run when you execute
the commands without a version suffix, e.g. 'ipython', run:

port select --set ipython ipython27

--->  Cleaning py27-ipython
--->  Updating database of binaries: 100.0%
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
--->  No broken files found.
$ port select --set ipython ipython27
Selecting 'ipython27' for 'ipython' succeeded. 'ipython27' is now active.

And yet, still, if I run "ipython --version", I get 0.11. I'm pretty certain this isn't due to a preinstalled version getting picked up in my PATH. The preinstalled version is in /usr/local/bin/ipython, and if I type "which ipython" after uninstalling the port, this is what is returned. My macports installations go to /opt/local/bin. After installing and selecting, typing "which ipython" points to /opt/local/bin/ipython.

I am running OSX 10.7.5 with Xcode 4.2 and python 2.7.3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Collin