any way to use OS 10.3.9?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 11 14:26:18 PST 2012

On Nov 11, 2012, at 14:40, David Prager Branner wrote:

> Unhappily, installing <https://distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/MacPorts-1.8.0-archive.tar.bz2> produces the same
>
>     checking Mac OS X version... 10.3.9
>     configure: error: This version of Mac OS X is not supported
>
> error.

MacPorts 1.8.0 and up require Tiger and later. You cannot install them version on OS X 10.3.9.

What we were trying to help you get was a set of portfiles compatible with the last version of MacPorts compatible with 10.3.9. The archive of ports created on the day 1.8.0 was released should still be compatible with MacPorts 1.7.1. That's what's in the dports directory of the above archive. You would put that directory somewhere on your hard drive, and refer your existing MacPorts 1.7.1 installation to it by editing your sources.conf file.