filezilla and wxWidgets on Lion

Wahlstedt Jyrki jwa at macports.org
Thu Oct 4 04:10:25 PDT 2012

On 4.10.2012, at 13.56, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM, Wahlstedt Jyrki wrote:
>>
>> On 4.10.2012, at 13.02, Degang Wu wrote:
>>
>>> wxWidgets cannot be built on Lion,
>
> It works for me (does it perhaps only work with older Xcode?), but
> that doesn't make the rest of the question obsolete.

Yes,
the change came with Xcode 4.4, in which 10.6SDK was dropped, that was necessary for wxWdigets build. Lion supports older versions of Xcode, Mountain Lion not.

>>> so one of the dependencies of filezilla cannot be fulfilled on Lion. wxWidgets-devel is fine, but there is no variant of filezilla that use wxWidgets-devel. How to build filezilla on Lion?
>>
>> Hi,
>> it could perhaps be a good idea to make a ticket requesting filezilla maintainer to add that variant (there is now already, in place of wxWidgets-devel, the port wxWidgets30 that is now of the same version, 2.9.4, as the -devel, but as the next stable release is coming soonish, let's hope so, we already anticipate that, also this -devel version is supposed to be of good quality, so perhaps the filezilla could be made to depend on that).
>
> I completely agree with that part (the need to add functionality to
> the port). However I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1.) In past wxwidgets was conflicting with wxwidgets-devel. How can I
> overcome the problem of wx-config (which is almost the only
> problematic/conflicting file)?
>
> Error: org.macports.activate for port wxWidgets30 returned: Image
> error: /opt/local/bin/wx-config is being used by the active
> wxWidgets-devel port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port
> -f activate wxWidgets30' to force the activation.

I think somebody volunteered to work on this (I think also it's only the wx-config that should be installed only in some version-specific location, and selected from there).

> 2.) What are the guidelines for port maintainers (I didn't see that
> wxWidgets30 was present)? I already provide +wxwidgets_devel variant.
> How should I enable the user to use wxWidgets30 instead of
> wxWidgets_devel? How should the variants be called and how should they
> be implemented? Is there any way to create a wxWidgets PortGroup to
> take care of some "nasty" wxWidgets-related aspects?

You make the old variant require the new one, the old can be dropped after a year or so. (examples e.g. in pgAdmin3, suggested by Ryan, who has done several such changes in many ports already)