filezilla and wxWidgets on Lion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 4 12:01:58 PDT 2012

On Oct 4, 2012, at 05:56, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> 1.) In past wxwidgets was conflicting with wxwidgets-devel. How can I
> overcome the problem of wx-config (which is almost the only
> problematic/conflicting file)?
>
> Error: org.macports.activate for port wxWidgets30 returned: Image
> error: /opt/local/bin/wx-config is being used by the active
> wxWidgets-devel port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port
> -f activate wxWidgets30' to force the activation.

The wxWidgets30 port should not install wx-config; it should perhaps install wx30-config or wx-config30. Whatever it's renamed to, though, will have to be patched into every port that uses wxWidgets (or configure args will have to be supplied for every port telling it where this wx-config is). That sucks, but I don't know a better solution.

> 2.) What are the guidelines for port maintainers (I didn't see that
> wxWidgets30 was present)? I already provide +wxwidgets_devel variant.
> How should I enable the user to use wxWidgets30 instead of
> wxWidgets_devel? How should the variants be called and how should they
> be implemented? Is there any way to create a wxWidgets PortGroup to
> take care of some "nasty" wxWidgets-related aspects?

wxWidgets is a low level library. Users should not need to care about it. There should be no variants bearing the name "wxWidgets". A port like filezilla that requires wxWidgets should depend on the version it requires (i.e. wxWidgets30) and not offer the user any choice in the matter.